The Church of Christ in East Kilbride was founded in 1954 by the then Churches of Christ Glasgow District when the new town of East Kilbride was being constructed. We worked well the other churches at that time, three Church of Scotland parishes and a Roman Catholic parish.
East Mains Area was an addition to the Village. The 'newcomers' were all strangers, mainly young married couples but thanks to our first minister, Rev. Alan Robinson, the church became the focal point in our lives, catering for all ages and we grew rapidly, moving from a hall church to a brand new building. As the years passed the young people grew up and married, they moved to new areas but most of the older people stayed and are still in the East Mains area - therefore there have not been many new families moving in.
In 1981 we united with the United Reformed Church in the United Kingdom and had a joint ministry with Shawlands URC in Glasgow with whom we shared ministers. This altered again when the Congregational Union of Scotland united with us in April 2000 and now we have a joint ministry with Righead URC which is in the Murray area of East Kilbride. In 2017 Hamilton URC was added to our pastorate.
Our large church building was replaced by a multi-purpose church/hall in 1999. Though becoming a congregation of the United Reformed Church we have kept some of our Churches of Christ traditions. Most importantly, Holy Communion is celebrated every Sunday and is the central part of our morning service.
Due to the declining membership of the church and the increasing demands of governance and compliance the members decided that the church needed to close and the final service was held on Sunday 14th August 2022.